You shook things up this week and did another hard thing: you practiced EMPATHY in some radical ways! It’s not easy to lay aside the comfort of sticking with our like-minded tribes, but you did it! You stepped outside the lines and dared to listen and learn from a perspective entirely different from your own, and you dug deep to find your shared experiences in their story. Was it a bit of a stretch for you or is empathy your superpower (if it is, please share your secret with the rest of us!)? We’d love to hear more about what DARE #2 was like for you, where ya got stuck, and what you learned.
Here are a few prompts to get our discussion going:
- How easy or difficult was it for you to practice empathy?
- What emotion, motivation, or experience was most easy for you to connect with as you practiced empathy (ex: fear, safety, anger)?
- When you notice yourself thinking or speaking in terms of “us” and “them,” what do you think blocks you from accessing that empathy?
A few quick community guidelines to create a safe space for all of us to show up, be seen, and share openly here:
- Differing perspectives and opinions are welcomed in this space (the more diverse our experiences and backgrounds, the better)! We will focus on voicing OUR OWN perspectives, without shaming or devaluing the expressed opinions of others.
- This is a platform that affirms the inherent dignity of every human life. Our comments will never demean an individual or an entire group of people.
- We are here to share our ideas and learn from each other so that we can help our nation heal and remember our shared humanity. We are not showing up with the goal of drilling home our point or winning a debate.
- These discussions are a place to have fun, gain fresh perspective, and connect with other people. We show up with a willingness and commitment to take up space in such a way that all three are possible for all who gather here.
If you’ve stumbled on this discussion page and are interested in joining us for the UBUNTU UNITY CHALLENGE, there’s still time to join the crew! Just head on over to the UBUNTU UNITY CHALLENGE info page, enter your name and email, and click “I’m up for the Challenge!”